The evidence of Robert Walker's birth is found in the Manchester Cathedral Register. On page 154, it lists the Christening of Robert Walker son of Thomas Walker of Ardwicke.
Robert Walker was born 1607 in Manchester, England. He was indentured to the Winthrop Co. and arrived in America in 1630. He became a 'freeman" in 1634, married Sarah Leager, and settled in Boston, MA.
Robert Walker, insofar as we can determine was the first individual with the Walker surname in the new world. One of his direct descendants is John Walker, the subject of this website.
The following timeline is from the book entitled From England to Boston: A Biographical Sketch of Robert Walker and Sarah Leager Walkerby Brett C. Walker
- 1607/07 Robert Walker born in Manchester, Lancashire, England
- 1612 Sarah Leager born
- 1623 Robert began an apprenticeship as a linen weaver
- 1629 Robert completed his apprenticeship and married Sarah Leager in England
- 1630 They join the Puritan fleet led by John Winthrop and sail to America, landing in Salem, MA
- 1631 They moved to Boston
- 1632 Robert became 131st member of the First Church in Boston
- 1634 Robert became a freeman
- 1669 Robert co-founded the Third Church in Boston (Old South Church) - Sara is co-founder
- 1687 Robert died of a stroke at age 80 in Boston, MA
- 1695 Sarah died at 83 in Boston, MA